elpetal - norman w woolworth - 1949 to 1957 & maris embiricos - 1957 to 1983
The last civilian vessel to undergo conversion at the Iron Works took on the characteristics of a marathon project before she was finally delivered to her owner on the first day of 1950. Built in Kiel, Germany, as the yacht Reveler, she had been sold to American owners in 1933 and to the Navy during World War II. Renamed Beaumont, she served as a gunboat in Alaskan and Pacific waters before being turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal at the end of the war. She was then purchased by the Elpetal Corporation of New York, whose president, Norman W. Woolworth, was the son of the Mrs F.W. Woolworth who had the Iron Works build the fishing launch Freddie back in 1932.
The Beaumont, renamed one more time as Elpetal, arrived at the Iron Works in the fall of 1947, ostensibly to "winter" at the shipyard on the Kennebec. She stayed for over two years as work commenced, first under "S-orders" (a job order specifiying a single task) and, after 21 months, under a formal contract replete with specifications. Reconversion went ahead in fits and starts as BIW workmen dug into the yacht and as Woolworth excercised the owners prerogative of frequently changing his mind. It was not the most economical way to proceed.
The Navy had, of course, ripped out her original accomodations and decor and chopped off her handsome transom stern. These had to be replaced, but before the job was finished she was almost completely rebuilt inside and out. When she was finally turned over to the Elpetal Corporation the total bill had reached $871,371.64 although the Iron Works costs were even higher. With the departure of Elpetal, the curtain rang down for the final time on the Bath shipyard's association with yachts.